Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hospital Bedrest: The Background

I have been woefully negligent of this blog. But, now since I've got a lot more time to spend on the computer (read on to find out why), I thought I'd revive it in the last few weeks of pregnancy. It's my hope to keep you all updated with what's going on in our lives through this avenue and to share some of my other musings along the way...

*Warning* Lots of medical info is in this post. It may be boring to you. If it is, don't read it! ;-)

A couple of weeks ago (at 30W) I went in and complained about menstrual like cramping. So, the doc checked me and determined I had bacterial vaginosis and that I was effaced 50% with the outside of my cervix dilated to 3 cm, but the inside still closed.

We got that cleared up; but last Wednesday (at 32W) I started having cramping which was beginning to become pretty painful. So, after about 2 and a half hours of debating back and forth, Daniel and I decided to go on into L&D to have things checked out. (Read some of Daniel's thoughts about that day here: http://thechristianpractice.com/2011/03/28/but-i-dont-feel-bad/)

They put me on a monitor and weren't seeing any full on contractions, but rather a lot of little uterine activity. Finally the nurse checked me, then the midwife checked me, and then the doc checked me... The latter two felt that I was 2 cm, still about 50% effaced. Since there is no NICU care anywhere close to Mayfield, they called the perinatologist at Norton Hospital in Louisville (about 3.5 hours from home -- where they have the highest level NICU) who they routinely work with. He (the peri, Dr. P) thought it would be best if they transferred me, since they didn't know if they could stop the dilation there in Mayfield.

After they decided to transfer me, the nurses swarmed in, got me prepped (IV's, cath, etc) for the helicopter ride, which happened to be one of the most turbulent that the EMT had ever experienced (just adding the funness!). (You can read much more about that tomorrow at www.thechristianpractice.com)

Once I arrived on land in Louisville, they gave me more things to stop contractions, steroids for her lungs, and antibiotics in case of group b strep. I didn't stop cramping until they gave me morphine at about 4 in the morning. Dr. P was optimistic that I would be able to go home in a few days.

Fast forward a “few days” and my fetal fibronectin test came back positive and Dr. P found out I have a protein s deficiency (blood clotting disorder). {Side note: The PSD was probably what caused the blood clot which led to the spotting that I experienced early in the first trimester.}So, those two factors contributed to him wanting me to stay here in the hospital until I am 35 weeks (which is the time at which I could safely deliver at Jackson Purchase).

With this protein s deficiency I'm taking a daily injection of a blood thinner. Because of this, there is a likelihood that they will want to induce me between 38-40 weeks (the blood thinner takes 24 hours to get out of your system, which means absolutely no epidural if I'm on the shot; therefore if a c-section was needed I'd not have that as an option...) But, if they induce they can have me off the shot a day before in case an epi is needed. Also, while on blood thinners the risk of bleeding even from an un-medicated vaginal birth seems to be greater.

After I’m released from the hospital at 35W, I’ll still be under the care of the midwife and OBGYNs in Mayfield. But, most of my other plans are out the window right now; however, I am beyond thankful that all of this happened, so they could catch the protein s deficiency which can apparently cause clots in the placenta and cord late in pregnancy leading to fetal death.

Right now I'm on day 6 of hospital bedrest with about 15 left! So, tune in daily to see what's going on with me and baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment