Friday, June 17, 2011

A Numbers Game

5. Five weeks ago, our lives forever changed. Sure, people told me that it would. Sure, people said that our hearts would explode with love. But, I just didn't "get it" until it happened. My love for her continues to multiply daily, if that's possible. I'm so thankful that God gave her to us and I'm looking forward to every day that we have together!

8 lbs 2 oz. This was Critter's weight on Monday. What a victory! And I really can tell that she's gained ... she feels so heavy and she's finally starting to fit into her 0-3 month old clothes. Does this mean she's no longer a newborn? Sadness! Slow down, time!

7-9 x's. 12 oz. The number of times a day I pump and the amount I get daily. I promised that I'd do a post on the feeding situation, but I don't have the motivation to do it right now. She's getting about half of her nutrition from breastmilk and half from formula. I'm taking Fenugreek to try to boost my supply with a goal of her getting off formula ASAP.

$26. The cost of  1 can of Alimentum, the formula we're supplementing her with. The doctor seems to think she's got a milk protein sensitivity, so that means I've cut out all dairy products from my diet (butter, milk, cream, etc..) and she's got to be on this fancy formula. Have we noticed an improvement in her reflux and constipation? Not really. But it can take up to two weeks, so we're hoping that it will get better soon!

2-3. She'll sleep 2-3 hours straight at a time, at night in the bassinet, however many times those slumbers are full of wiggles, cries, and grunts, as the reflux and constipation take their toll. {Which means I sleep with my hand on her many times for comfort -- and NO, I will not let her cry it out right now. First of all, that is NOT recommended for newborns, and secondly, she's in pain due to her reflux; what type of bad mommy would I be to let my little girl HURT and then not comfort her? So, please, all you who mean well, please stop telling me I'm spoiling her! Thanks! ;-) } So, Daniel and I have modified the "shifts". We're no longer having to stay up with her in the nursery, I get up to feed her, pump, and then rock her back to sleep for another two hours. It usually goes something like this:
9:30 -- Asleep in bassinet
11:30 -- Feeding time! After she eats, I pump while she's in her Rock 'N Play. I then pick her up to rock her to sleep if she's awake, and then it's back to bed...
12:30 -- Asleep in bassinet
3:00 -- Feeding time!
4:00 -- Asleep in bassinet (Daddy's shift starts...)

I'm so thankful that the sleep situation has gotten better. And, I hate to admit it, but I really miss all the snuggle time we had when I was staying up with her. So, I'm making up for it right now... she's on my chest snoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment