Saturday, June 11, 2011

Where to Begin?

I'm not sure where to even begin! First of all, we're making progress with sleep (although it hasn't been easy). Last night Jenaleigh slept from 11:15-1:30 in the pack 'n play in our room (although the last hour of that sleep I had to keep my hand on her belly to keep her from crying) and then again from 2:30-4:00 (again, sleeping with my hand on her stomach.) It's not a ton of sleep, but it's better than none! I'm so proud of my little Critter!

Secondly, we've hit some breastfeeding road bumps! I plan on doing a post dedicated entirely to this, but in a brief: we had horrible pain, followed by thrush, followed by pumping to heal, which led to a decision to keep pumping and give breastfeeding an indefinite break.

Thirdly, it looks like we've got a reflux baby on our hands. Jenaleigh has started spitting up really bad (including an hour after almost every feeding). In addition to that, she has other symptoms such as: sudden crying (this is new to this week -- she's started having outbursts of crying where you can tell she's in real pain), arching neck/back during and after feedings, poor sleeping, waking herself up often, choking/gagging sounds, frequent hiccups, etc...

The doc prescribed Zantac, so she started that... I've heard that it isn't always very effective, so hopefully if it doesn't help, the doc will prescribe prevacid or nexium or something a little stronger...

The doctor also said if it hasn't gotten better by Monday then I'd have to cut all dairy products out of my diet and start purchasing a formula that doesn't have the milk protein in it (which happens to be $25 for a 96 oz can! YIKES!) for supplementation. I'll do whatever it takes to have a healthy happy baby!

And, lastly, we go in Monday for a weight check, so think "big numbers" for us! She'll be exactly one month old. Time is flying by! I'm learning more and more to treasure the time I have with her as a little bitty baby. I know someday she won't want to cuddle and snuggle, so I better get it all in while I can! (Wow, this makes me cry just thinking about it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment