Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No Pain.

I've read up *a little* on hypnobirth and while I definitely plan to employ some of the suggested breathing techniques, I'm a little skeptical of the whole "put yourself into a trance and feel no trace of pain" claims that some make. On the other hand, I know there are many factors that go into pain and a lot of them have to do with our brain. 

Our American society equates birth with excruciating-knock-me-out-I-can't-take-this pain. When we've let those messages flood over us, what do we expect? Pain-free labors? No way. We expect to feel pain, which I believe makes our pain heightened. (I am in no way saying that it isn't a painful experience, but rather that our expectations add to the tension and pain we may feel.)

Watching "Pregnant in America" a couple of nights ago, I was lovin' the Dutch couple that was interviewed about their (obviously non-medicated) home birth. The woman said something to the affect of, "Yes, we know it's going to hurt. But it only lasts for a short while, so we handle it and move on!" What a difference in attitudes! By the way, Only EIGHT PERCENT of Dutch women have epidurals during childbirth! (Whereas, a 2008 report by the CDC found that 78% of laboring women in Kentucky receive epidurals.)

{As you all know it is my deep desire to avoid an epidural. I won't consider myself a failure if I have to have one; and do not think anything less of other women who have had them. I just find our society's mindset towards labor and pain to be noteworthy and interesting study if you stop to think about it.}

No comments:

Post a Comment