Friday, May 27, 2011

Young People Today...

How many times have I heard someone start off a sentence with "Young people today..." and end with some discouraging complaint about the terrible way young people today act/think/feel?

It's easy to feel that each generation is getting worse and worse (although a study through the Bible should convince us that sin has been abundant through the ages). But, I wanted to share with you something that should make you hopeful for "young people today" -- for the future of the church.

Today as I was sifting through the mail, I saw an envelope addressed to me in careful handwriting. I quickly opened it as I LOVE letters and was immediately touched by what I found inside.

It was a note from a young lady (pre-teen age I think). We'll call her P. I've only met P a few times, but she's inspired me more than she'll ever know.

The letter started with congratulatory wishes but quickly transitioned to her thoughts on my Women's Wednesday articles over at Daniel's blog, "The Christian Practice". She wrote that one particular post -- ("At Least It's a One Piece") was particularly helpful to her. [The article discusses how although the world may see one piece bathing suits as a modest alternative to bikinis, we must search God's Word to realize what modesty truly is and why it is important to be such.]

P writes, "If you wouldn't wear a bathing suit to run in Wal-Mart; what's the difference if it's under water? A lot of times people just don't understand that it is inappropriate..."

Yes, that came from a young person! She gets it! She understands and treasures the value of what we read in 1 Timothy 2:9, 10 Titus 2:3-5. There is hope!

Thank you, P, for reminding me again of me of the importance of my duty to "teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled." (Titus 2:4-5) And thank you for the hope that you've given me -- the hope that this generation is not lost and that the church can continue to thrive.

P, I hope that as I've been able to help you in a small way with my articles that you will in turn take what you know and teach it to others, especially your peers and those younger than you! I know you have it in you and can imagine my daughter some day looking up to you for Godly advice and example. 

For everyone else out there... give young people a chance. Don't expect failure. Expect greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment