Saturday, April 9, 2011

I'm Praying for a Special Couple

I'm sure most of you, like me, pray daily for your baby -- whether that baby is still in the womb or in your arms. There are any things I pray when praying for her -- I pray that she will grow to love the Lord will all her heart; I pray that we as parents will teach her God's ways and model to her the Christian life; I pray for her health; I pray for her future husband; but there are also two more important people I mention when praying for her...

her future husband's mom and dad.

Now before you raise an eyebrow and say, "But what if she doesn't want to get married? Aren't placing your assumptions in the way?", know that I am adding an important phrase -- "if it be Your [God's] will" -- just as Jesus prayed in Matthew 26:39 for God's will to be done.

Anyway, back to the praying for Jen's future hubby's mom and dad... I pray that this couple is making the necessary preparations to raise their son to...
1. ...be a Christian who will help my daughter reach heaven someday.
2. ...be a loving husband who my daughter will gladly let lead her. [Eph 5:25 and 1 Cor 11:3]
3. ...be an authoritative, yet gentle father who will bring up children God's way. [Eph 6:4]

I sometimes try to imagine this couple - my future son-in-law's parents. Are they someone we know? Is he a preacher? Is she a Bible class teacher? Have we brushed shoulders at Polishing the Pulpit but never met? Someday we will know the answers to these questions, but for now prayer will be all sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment