Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sticking Myself | Day 13 of Hospital 'Bedrest'

8:13 AM
It's 8:13 in the morning and I know in another 47 minutes a nurse will come in here with my Arixtra injection and ask me if I want to try sticking myself. *shivers* I'm trying to psyche myself up to do it! I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. 








I'm not sure if I can! I'll have to when we get home and for 6 weeks after baby gets here, so I've got to bite the bullet sometime. It's not an issue of it hurting, because it really doesn't hurt that bad. Rather, it's me having the control. The control which I normally enjoy having in every other aspect of my life is not something I looking forward to having when sticking a large pointy object into my flesh.

8:45 AM
Julie came in early with the shot today. She knows I'm not looking forward to giving it to myself, so she didn't even ask if I wanted to try. So, I bravely stopped her before she gave it to me, and told her that I wanted to do it.

Then I started to internally panic.

The first step, rubbing the alcohol pad to cleanse the spot I chose, was easy. The second step, sticking the needle in me, took courage. Julie, acting as my cheerleader, said to do it quickly and get it over with. So...

I DID IT!

Yes, I successfully gave myself my first injection of Arixtra. And, you know what? It didn't hurt one single bit. Seriously!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things Left to Do or Buy
Normally my type A personality would be freaked out by the fact that everything’s not prepared. But, we’ve got the pack ‘n play set up with the bassinet insert ready for her (place to sleep … check!), most of her newborn clothes washed (clothes to wear … check!), and are stockpiled with diapers (something to cover her bottom… check!) Everything else is just a bonus right now!

1.    Finish the nursery
  • Assemble the dresser
  • Organize EVERYTHING!
  • Assemble the swing
  • Wash the bedding / Put bedding in crib
  • Accessorize the room (I've got all the stuff -- just have to place it)
  • Hang the valence over the crib
2.    Buy a baby monitor: We're really pumped about getting an Angelcare monitoring system. So, when Daniel heads to Knoxville at the end of the month, I think I’ll have him pick up the one we registered for at Babies R Us! (Side Note: I know people have mixed feelings about Angelcare, but I think it’s going to give this overanxious mama peace of mind!)

3.    Buy bedding for the pack ‘n play bassinet: I know she could probably sleep in there without a fitted sheet under her if worse came to worse (there’s a mattress insert and a waterproof mattress pad), but I think we’ve gotta get this before she gets here!

The design/pattern of the pack 'n play:


4.  Install the car seat. Wow. I almost forgot about that one! We opted for a Graco travel system:


Well, that’s not too crazy of a list, is it? I think we can get it done. (Oh, and when I say, "we", I mean "DANIEL!")

No comments:

Post a Comment